Friday, February 13, 2009

Too cozy to drink

Thursday's visit was different. I went from work to the hospital to meet my parents, Tom and Melanie. It was near her 6pm feeding time so both my Mom and Melanie were able to see Alexandra uncovered with just a one-zie on. We were also able to open up a window that oversees a hall on the 3rd floor, so my Dad and brother could see us and take pictures. Our nurse was incredible as she was more than helpful and willing to help Jeanette breast feed instead of the prescribed tube feeding. She is now taking 35ml of milk per feeding and just over 4 pounds.

I started to feed her and she started on the bottle well. Drinking and then dozing off. I had to tickle her feet to keep her stimulated. After about 15 minutes of the swallow, sleep, swallow, sleep process I had to get her less cozy. Unwrapped her and she started to whine. "Whaa, whaaa waa" in her little mousy tone (she really does sound like a high pitch mouse). The nurse came by to see how things were going while I was burping her.

"Buuuuuuuuuuuuuurp!"
"Oh, that was a truck driver burp!" the nurse said as Ali looked content and less uncomfortable. It actually was a huge belch. One that Liana nor Amanda has done. More like a Jessica belch (my 23 year old niece who burps like a truck driver). It was funny and satisfying, finally burping a baby (no bigger than my arm) and they give you a response "Job well done!". So I put her back on and when she slowed down, burped her some more. None were as loud or satisfying. The nurse explained that if this wasn't breast milk she would have more gas and constipation. Imagine that.

So, my family left the hospital at 6:15 to meet some old friends at The Big Cheese. A very good Italian place near Dadeland on US1. Great pizza and salads. Too bad I couldn't join but Jeanette was at home with the monsters, cleaning the house and then when I got home she had to return by 9 to feed Ali by breast.

My evening ended at 11:30 when I called Jeanette, who hasn't returned and she was in the middle of a Familia party at the hospital. That is a small support group of Catholic mothers who travel around aimlessly on Thursday evenings with food, gossip and small talk (just kidding ;-). All I could hear was laughter, screaming and yelling like a sorority party that just started. At least I knew she wasn't sleeping on the road. I planned to download the pictures before I went to bed but we know how plans go ...

Since my last few posts lack the pictures I added a screen shot of the site sniffer I added, which tracks the amound of visitors since the mid of January. I was unsure if anyone was out there but at one point 41 viewed on the 10th. That must of been a Chineese family surfing the word "gum".

No comments: