Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Longest Day

I never got to see Alexandra on my usual 5pm time coming home since I had to see my Pulmonologist for my 6 month check up. Which is really a 2 hour waste to get my 3 month prescription for my new insurance. As a kid I thought I had hay fever but really I am allergic to Cats (level 4), Dogs (level 2), Dust (level 3), Pine (level 2), Peanut Butter (level 4), Mameluke pollen (level 2), and more. So I tell the doctor about my stupid "vertigo" episode a few months ago where my whole life for a couple days was a spinning carousel, standing, sitting and especially laying down. To make a long story short I had NO signs after various tests of vertigo so I assumed it was my Allegra D medicine that keeps my allergies down that caused the dizziness since on the warning label it says "May cause dizziness on some lab rats".


My doctor yesterday gave me the puzzled look that I was an idiot (the same look I give when someone asks me what a right-click is). All he kept telling me was "Stay away from peanuts". But I was dizzy "Stay AWAY from peanuts" and then after the vertigo test "STAY away FROM peanuts" and then when the blood result was negative "STAY a-WAY from Pea" YEAH I get the message. You think I digested a stupid nut that then made me dizzy. "NO. They will KILL you. That's what I am saying". His words were just that, blunt like a mace on the head. He didn't warm the words up, put them in a package with a bow ... "THEY will KILL you, as they did another patient I had last year."

So I payed my $25 deductible to hear that a small nut (not one in a car) can kill me. So if you see me with a Snickers bar, feel free to tackle me as if I had a revolver, inserting a bullet, spinning the chamber.

On the way home I didn't see Ali and got to the in-laws around 5:30. The house looked like crap. Inside all of the girl's toys, possessions, etc. were ALL over. Then I get hit in the private area as Liana runs up and hugs me with a head butt yelling "Pop-eee" (that's a Latin Popi, short for Papa, Dad, etc. for all us gringos). Then after looking around Amanda was a zombie watching a cartoon and Mommy was a zombie reading her eyelids. So I pull out the firefighter hat and try to find the largest blaze and deal with that issue before I get to the wildfire,sporadic crap on the floor in the living room issue. Then I remember my CTO's word's of wisdom about family life "Play zone defense, not man-to-man and things will be easier". So I take off the fireman hat and put on my pads ... what offensive package are the girls in ... Mommy tired, can't sleep, Amanda zoned on the TV, Liana ... needs attention, house looks like hell, need dinner, kids tired, cranky, irritable, Abuelo trying to work in office, Abuela in bedroom. That's the standard 2 tight end, 2 receivers and a halfback package. So I deal with Liana who had the ball and got her attention diverted while I then dealt with the 2 tight ends (Amanda and Mommy) to see what I needed to do for dinner. The two receivers were out of the play, not even blocking which was good. And during the next 3 hours here where the issues I had to deal with while protecting the end zone:

  • Dinner: Abuela made spaghetti for Amanda. Liana will eat the picadillo from Abuelo yesterday. I will eat both. Jeanette will eat whatever I give her (including the salad she didn't expect).

  • Popi Gum: Liana's badgering for gum and/or candy. Then snack, food or any "comida". Points to mouth like Baby Huey "I'm hungry" look.

  • Bed Time: both kids were exhausted from the late bowling night an no naps.

  • Eating: food but no one interested in current dinner menu

  • Boredom: Liana needed to expend energy and was getting irritable with her current mess making means of gaining attention.

  • Sled Time: Amanda pushed Liana around the house on my car's booster seat, which does look and act like a sled when on tile. "Faster, Faster!" was all Liana could say while being pushed by a laughing Amanda. I actually got some video of this event.

  • Slide on Steps: The girls decided to make a slide on the foyer steps using the padded play mats. After I watched their antics of sliding down, I re-engineered the slope for ease of use and more speed. Abuelos didn't like the sport too much. My comment "you are lucky they are girls"

  • Fort: Girls wanted to make a fort out of the same play mats. So I engineered a cube large enough to enclose them both with a door. Then the search for a flashlight and pillows ensued.

  • Where's Dumbo: Amanda couldn't find her Dumbo who was crucial to her rem sleep. After she searched all the same rooms with me more than twice. I told her between sobs to look where you haven't. Found Dumbo in kitchen on chair.

  • Bath time: Give girls a bath, decided the two at once was easier than one at a time. Biggest issue who's the sap to go first and get out first. Always an argument.

  • Brush teeth: Getting them to do it is hard due to distractions. They both brush well and do so without help but stopping the search for Dumbo, water, books, flashlight, etc. gets tedious.

  • Bedtime: My word for get to sleep I need to relax. Another laboring task to get both at the same time down on the bed so we can start the bed time story and book argument.

  • Story time: What is read, who picks, what was promised or read previously, what time it is, how good they are, who is crankiest. All those go into my database to then give me the best quickest story/book to read.

  • Tia shows up: An unexpected visit (from anyone) wreaks havoc as they have to hug, talk, play and ignore the entire evening project plan (no one gets it).

  • Mommy Feeling Sick: The last item - Beba's flan put Jeanette over the edge wanting to puke. I had visions of the December Disney food poisoning episode of her blow projectile chunks all over the living room ... must change defense and clean living room.

  • Clean Mess: Moved all toys, crap, clothes, etc. to Dinning room table so kids couldn't reach and so cleaning lady can clean living room floor tomorrow. Placed all lose items in one bag, all items I deemed trash in trash. The girls know my rule "If I think it's trash, it is. If it's out and gone I threw it out." Which makes Liana stick her whole body in the trash to flush out some bead, necklace or crayon I disposed of earlier.
We had a great interuption when we were eating. Some of our parent friends from Amanda's class got together and got us a week of dinners from Dream Dinner. Which are premade frozen meals you microwave or bake. That will make our lives a bit easier, not having to worry about grocieries or "what's for dinner" on some days.

I actually got to relax around 10'ish when Jeanette surfaced from her sickness stating she wanted to see Alexandra. I advised her it was windy, raining, we are tired, you look awful, you need rest more than you need to visit. So after back and forth disagreement banter I get her to settle for: Call the nurse and check on her status. If anything bothers you I will get in the car and take you there. OK, she makes the call next to me. I hear: "Ok, yeah, she's good. Ahh gained a bit, doing well breathing, Yeah, awe that's cute. OK, so she's sleeping, no touch time. Well thanks for your update, have a good night."
I mentally relax as the season premier of Damage is about to begin. I get excited, thinking I may actually like this FX program like I did the Shield and start a new weekly program, which I rarely ever do. "OK, lets go." I look at her like she's on crack asking for a twenty spot. "Huh? Didn't the nurse just tell you all is well and quiet on the Ali front?"
"Yep, I want to see her now!" as she got up with energy and vigor, not looking like a zombie. "If you don't take me someone will." I mentally listed the someone down to her Dad, who for most of his life with kids had been a taxi driver at will.
"OK, I will take you." No argument, no talk, just got the shoes and took her out. She had the mother talk and drive that told me a boulder wouldn't stop her from going and she wasn't going to sleep well unless she saw her every day she was in the hospital. No matter what.
That is the hard part about all of this, NICU work on the parent end. You feel helpless that someone else has your child and the least you can and should do is see them. Not just the child but the nurses and doctors who are doing nothing but keeping you child alive so you can take them home as if they had a normal birth. Some may never get that joy. Others will but may have issues. So I guess, leaving the house was a wise choice. It is so easy to do nothing.
We returned, happier than when we left. Ali was fine, cute and breathing. All was well as I looked at the tv and the last statement I remember was "We hope you enjoyed the commercial free season premier of Damage." I thought to myself, yes I did.
So I gathered my crap and went to bed, thinking I had to do something tomorrow other than send an email. Hence this blog and long entry. Not a normal one but a start. This is actually a test for work as I am designing and implementing a new version of our intranet. Bloging is one of the new features I need to get better at so I am testing and eating my own dog food. I remember looking at the clock 12:01 Thursday just began and I leave you with the last image I remember before falling asleep...






No comments: